Who is this nut?

My photo
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" T. Pratchett

30.9.09

File Under: This is gonna get messy

This BDN article is one of many things to come in the next month as both sides of Question 1 appeal to Mainers to vote their way. I fundamentally don't understand why any one cares if same sex couples get married. It doesn't have anything to do with me, it's none of my business. No one is going to force me to marry a dude, so why should I care if two consenting adults want to screw up their relationship by getting married?

I'm also intrigued by the concept of protecting the "sanctity of marriage." Sancitity as defined by Merriam-Webster:
1 : holiness of life and character : godliness
2 a : the quality or state of being holy or sacred : inviolability b plural : sacred objects, obligations, or rights


That seems to all relate to religion, not something that has any place in our civil law. Lest we forget that seperation of church and state protects us both ways.

1 comment:

County Expat said...

"so why should I care if two consenting adults want to screw up their relationship by getting married?"

Why only two?
What have you got against Polygamy and Bigamy?