Who is this nut?

My photo
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" T. Pratchett

13.6.07

File Under: A boy and his Yak

Holy crap am I tired. This evening I paid my $5 for the shuttle service to Washburn, for me and my kayak, so we could paddle the Aroostook River. What a beautiful day for it. Lots of sun and a breeze to keep the bugs off. The water was warm enough that one could comfortably declare, "Summer is here!" In fact one of the guys kept ditching out of his boat to play in the water. The amazing part was the way he could get back in with out tipping it.

I managed to get caught up in the shallows a few times, but only had to walk the boat to deeper water once. At Rum Rapids Leo and I played in the eddies and surfed the standing waves. It was so freakin fun. I greatly enjoyed the handling and stability of my Pungo through all of this.

We later, paddled through some channels that cut through a large island. As it turns out, the island used to be a quarry, and that quarry is where the Broken Bridge, on Parsons Road, used to go. Anyhow, we saw a whole bunch of geese. Mothers with their goslings and fathers trying to draw us off. Toward the end we also turned upstream and watched the sun setting. Looked like a flippin LL Bean catalog. I can't wait to go again.

No comments: