Who is this nut?

My photo
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" T. Pratchett

20.3.09

File Under: Emotional Moments

It's funny how emotions can over take you with out warning. I was just upstairs with the family, they were reading while I practiced guitar. Addy had dragged my old bear, Max, onto the bed.

Max is one of those fabulous big ol Gund Honeybears. He literally hugs you back and was the last stuffed toy of my youth. Admittedly, I was a little old when I got him, but to this day, I won't turn down a good stuffed bear as a gift.

Since I was tired, I decided to lay down for a minute and snuggle my old bear. As I lay there hugging Max, I had a strong memory of the day I got him. My Mom and Gram took me with them to a gift shop in Caribou. While looking around I found Max; Gram decided I should have him, so she bought him for me, as a present (birthday, maybe).

My gram passed a couple years ago, and that memory triggered a rush of emotion. I started sobbing like I hadn't done since she died. My son, who was lying near, saw the tears and asked if I was alright. I told him through sobs that I missed his GG (great-grammy). That little man leaned in, hugged me tight, kissed my cheek and told me he loved me. Which made me cry harder, but was exactly what my heart neeeded. I'm so lucky to have such a great kid, my Gram would be proud.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The generational shifts can be very painful for sure. Sounds like you had a lot of love from your grandmother, though, and that you’re passing it on to your kids. I wonder if you’ve ever read the children’s book “Love You Forever” by Robert Munsch. It’s about a little boy going through the stages of childhood and becoming a man, and it might actually be impossible to read it without crying - but it’s beautiful.

kired said...

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I can almost guarantee it will make me cry.

Anonymous said...

I'm absolutely sure that it will. You may hate me for it.

Cheer up after, though, ok?